Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ASU defense
The ASU D is the best defense that MSU has seen so far this year.  They use a 3-3-5 stack with multiple blitz packages.  The big keys to this game will be how well the MSU Oline blocks the ASU 3 man front and how well they pick up the blitzing linebackers and defensive backs.  They like to stunt their lineman and bring the heat from all over including zone blitzes.  This will be a telling game on how much the Oline has really improved.  A good screen game could do some serious damage against them as well as double TE sets.  I am looking forward to seeing how MSU attacks it.
(09-11-2019, 07:45 PM)Jhuxy Wrote: The ASU D is the best defense that MSU has seen so far this year.  They use a 3-3-5 stack with multiple blitz packages.  The big keys to this game will be how well the MSU Oline blocks the ASU 3 man front and how well they pick up the blitzing linebackers and defensive backs.  They like to stunt their lineman and bring the heat from all over including zone blitzes.  This will be a telling game on how much the Oline has really improved.  A good screen game could do some serious damage against them as well as double TE sets.  I am looking forward to seeing how MSU attacks it.

Quick hitters into blitz-vacated space would be nice to see as well.  Need a heavy dose of that early to force them into blitzing less, then you'll have time for your shots downfield.
Tulsa ran a similar defense.  Spread the formations, throw the quick outs, attack the edges with the run game, run counters back to the strong side with a kick out.  Take the stack and blitz away.
(09-11-2019, 08:23 PM)coachg79 Wrote: Tulsa ran a similar defense.  Spread the formations, throw the quick outs, attack the edges with the run game, run counters back to the strong side with a kick out.  Take the stack and blitz away.

Coach, would the Option,  IF we actually pitch to the running back most of the time, be effective "attacking the edge"?
Jhuxy, do you think the OL actually showed improvement or was it fools gold? I don't have an opinion either way, but it is my concern. Is the Western DL much worse than Tulsa's? I'm having a hard time buying into the OL having an awakening in one week. I hope that's what happened, but it's tough for me to grasp given the focus that was on it in the off-season and what happened in week one. Hopefully it has a lot to do with the late adjustments to not having Chewins and Arcuri. Arcuri must be close as he was in a few plays for at least special teams last week. I wonder if he gradually gets back to tackle so Jarvis can move. So, is Chewins all done? Is going the medical DQ route?
(09-12-2019, 12:00 PM)EJSpartan Wrote: Jhuxy, do you think the OL actually showed improvement or was it fools gold? I don't have an opinion either way, but it is my concern. Is the Western DL much worse than Tulsa's? I'm having a hard time buying into the OL having an awakening in one week. I hope that's what happened, but it's tough for me to grasp given the focus that was on it in the off-season and what happened in week one. Hopefully it has a lot to do with the late adjustments to not having Chewins and Arcuri. Arcuri must be close as he was in a few plays for at least special teams last week. I wonder if he gradually gets back to tackle so Jarvis can move. So, is Chewins all done? Is going the medical DQ route?
The biggest problem with the OL in week 1 was the penalties...putting the O in a hole, 2nd biggest problem was the dropped passes (again putting the offense in a hole).

Yes they did improve (which was expected) and I would expect them to improve again this week (although I doubt we will go through the game with no penalties).  They are still very much a work in progress and are not at the point where they will dominate opposing DL's but if the team can keep the mental mistakes and presnap penalties down it should allow Salem to call the plays he wants to call (and give Lewerke the chance to take advantage of what the D is giving.

Go State
(09-12-2019, 12:00 PM)EJSpartan Wrote: Jhuxy, do you think the OL actually showed improvement or was it fools gold? I don't have an opinion either way, but it is my concern. Is the Western DL much worse than Tulsa's? I'm having a hard time buying into the OL having an awakening in one week. I hope that's what happened, but it's tough for me to grasp given the focus that was on it in the off-season and what happened in week one. Hopefully it has a lot to do with the late adjustments to not having Chewins and Arcuri. Arcuri must be close as he was in a few plays for at least special teams last week. I wonder if he gradually gets back to tackle so Jarvis can move. So, is Chewins all done? Is going the medical DQ route?

There were definitely some signs of improvement, but the Western Dline did not impress me at all.  Still lots of technique work to be done.  Still too many missed blocks for this level of football.  Even though I don't think Western's Dline is very good, I hope that it was at least a confidence booster for the MSU offensive linemen.  I would really like to see better blocking at 2nd level.  Let them be road graders and lead the way.  One of my favorite things to watch is a guard pulling and obliterating a LB or DB.  Haven't seen much of that out of MSU in a while.
(09-11-2019, 07:45 PM)Jhuxy Wrote: The ASU D is the best defense that MSU has seen so far this year.  They use a 3-3-5 stack with multiple blitz packages.  The big keys to this game will be how well the MSU Oline blocks the ASU 3 man front and how well they pick up the blitzing linebackers and defensive backs.  They like to stunt their lineman and bring the heat from all over including zone blitzes.  This will be a telling game on how much the Oline has really improved.  A good screen game could do some serious damage against them as well as double TE sets.  I am looking forward to seeing how MSU attacks it.

Lots of pro coaching behind that 3-3-5 look. Will MSU be prepared? If they are passive, they will lose. The must following the pattern they had last week and continue to attack.
Quote:At some point in time, you can't keep resting on what you've done in the past but what have you done lately.  Cool

[Image: 2Lv66hq.jpg]

vas you are certainly correct that the penalties hurt the offense, but I wouldn't say that was the biggest problem for the OL in week 1.  The biggest problem was that whenever the NG wasn't just playing "contain" he shot the A gap on either side without any problem and disrupted play after play.  Neither tackle was able to block the one DE effectively either.  Finally there were no holes for running backs even though they were going against a 3 man front.  You have to be able to do a combo block at the first level and then get to the second level against a 3 man front.  It is just imperative.  We couldn't do it.  The OL seemed to understand what their assignments were against the WMU 4 man front.  It'll be interesting to see if they struggle with proper assignments against another 3 man front.

Isn't that the same defensive scheme that MSU used under John L?