Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GOOD BAD & UGLY WITH MICHIGAN STATE SPARTAN FOOTBALL & BASKETBALL
https://collegesportsmaven.io/michiganst...amHCgOkmg/
Hondo S. Carpenter, Sr.  @HondoCarpenter
Very nice podcast Hondo.

Some optimism creeping in with regards to MSU Football in 2019.

Coach D’s legacy is secure at MSU in my opinion.

In order to maintain that legacy he does need to produce this season.  Coach D has publicly stated over the years that when he goes, he wants the program to be solid and not regress.

My opinion:
BTC - amazing season
BT East Champion - outstanding season
10 wins - great season
8-9 wins - successful season*
7 wins or below - disappointment

*Ill take BTC, BT E, and 10 wins with a loss to UM.  Not thrilled but OK.

Must beat UM though if win total is below 10.
Dan, I think anything at or below 8 wins is a disappointment. MSU is going to play Michigan, Penn State, and Ohio State. 8 wins means you lost to all of those and got nipped by ASU or a dangerous Northwestern, Indiana, or Wisconsin. Absolutely agree that a win over Michigan covers a lot of warts.

I think if they win 9 and beat at least one of the "big three" in the East, then you can call the season a success. Anything over 10 wins would be outstanding to amazing.

I'm glad to hear that Coach G likes what he sees from the O-Line. Coach is a guy I know, like, and respect a great deal. But I'm still in "wait and see" mode. If you need me, I'll be over here with crossed arms waiting for this team to show me who they really are because I've grown tired of high-minded predictions that quickly turn to dust.

Separately, on Coach D's legacy...

Long term, you're correct. His legacy is secure. He will be remembered as the best coach in Michigan State history.

Short term, though...especially in our "what-have-you-done-for-me-lately" world...and especially because we are talking openly here at SpartanNation.com about succession plans(!), that tells me that this is eminent. I don't want to see him go out like Duffy did, with a whimper while telling everyone how much he'd done for the school/program. That was unfair to him and to the program/university. The results of that transition are widely known and MSU can't afford to do that again.
Joe Polasek- Former Producer, Spartan Nation Radio
Lansing, MI
JoeP3. :

Not a lot of disagreement with you on 2019.

I hope I’m wrong but I’m not optimistic on MSU football after Coach retires. Our Board of Trustees still seem dysfunctional, we don’t have a full time President (and even if we get one - that person must be STRONG), our AD is inexperienced, and Nassar fall out continues. I could see that effecting candidates.

Enjoy Coach for as long as you can.
As curmudgeonly as I sound, I'm trying Dan! I swear.
Lansing, MI
(05-16-2019, 04:20 PM)JoeP3 Wrote: As curmudgeonly as I sound, I'm trying Dan! I swear.

Joe, what you're suffering from is MSU S.O.S. disease.  I had it for close to 3 decades.   Don't nurse it,  kill it off.   It saps your joy.   You watch the games, waiting for crap to go wrong, 'knowing it will'.  That's no way to live.  

Don't get me wrong, the alternative can be devastating when your team doesn't meet expectations.  But sitting back and watching instead of engaging is very much the path to being a sour old joyless curmudgeon. I hope you get this reference, but don't turn out like Tanfan. Please. {for the unitiated, that's a heavy volume poster on another board}
(05-16-2019, 04:58 PM)jartan77 Wrote:
(05-16-2019, 04:20 PM)JoeP3 Wrote: As curmudgeonly as I sound, I'm trying Dan! I swear.

Joe, what you're suffering from is MSU S.O.S. disease.  I had it for close to 3 decades.   Don't nurse it,  kill it off.   It saps your joy.   You watch the games, waiting for crap to go wrong, 'knowing it will'.  That's no way to live.  

Don't get me wrong, the alternative can be devastating when your team doesn't meet expectations.  But sitting back and watching instead of engaging is very much the path to being a sour old joyless curmudgeon.  I hope you get this reference, but don't turn out like Tanfan.  Please.  {for the unitiated, that's a heavy volume poster on another board}

I'm honestly surprised at how much doom and gloom is going around this board....

I think it is fair to say that the D will be solid this season (probably 1 or 2 in the B1G)
Special teams - likely to have strong kicking games as both starters return and we all know that Jake is a game changer.
                     return teams will likely be better (not a high bar to overcome) and I suspect that we may even get decent returns this year - but worst case its the same as last year
The giant question mark is the offense (and bar not very high to improve over last year)
QB - healthy Lewerke big improvement (experienced back-up which should allow the team to use entire playbook even if Brian has to miss a series or two).  May actually see the  
        team deliberately giving Rocky a series or two).
OL - Healthy and experienced...plus I would NOT underestimate Coach B's ability to get the boys playing at a MUCH improved level.  #1 reason our Offense stunk last year was inability to control LOS - that will change based on coaching.  Not expecting line to dominate but adequate play up front will allow the offense to move the chains.
RB - I'd say this is an unknown - I like Heywood but I don't think he is a feature back if he is all season then the running game doesn't improve much (again I think adequate play of the OL makes it so the RB's will be better.  Hopefully one of the young kids takes advantage of the opportunity and works themselves into the #1 or 1a slot.
WR/TE - Felton will be sorely missed but I think there is enough depth that Lewerke will be able to rely on multiple WRs.
          - TE again we didn't lose a ton of production and I think Camper is ready to make an impact.
Playcalling - will be improved (can't get much worse) but it all comes back to the OL play and execution.  Bad penalties especially in red zone, dropped passes and inability to block cannot be overcome by play calling and in fact make it harder to call a game.

So while I don't think or expect the O to put up 35+ points per game I think it is reasonable to expect 20-25 points (even against strong defensive teams) and MSU winning the ToP battle which given our Defense should allow us to be in every game start to finish.

Go State
RB - again not
Vas :

Nice post.

I’ve wrote this on this board countless times.  With our D and ST, we just need a competent offense and we contend for the BTC !  That’s it.  Competent!

For as god awful as our offense was last season, all we needed in each of our losses was one more TD and one more long clock killing drive, maybe a FG and we are a 10-11 win team in a great bowl game, if not Big Ten champs.

Arizona St - Brian steps into his throw or Dotson catches it - TD and momentum changing play.

NW - So many plays left on the field too long to mention.

UM - self explanatory

Nebraska - please

Ohio St - tough game but it was 7-6 at half or something like that.

Oregon - please, we were on their side of the field so many times it was nearly mathematically impossible to not score.
(05-17-2019, 01:23 AM)Chicagodan Wrote: Vas :

Nice post.

I’ve wrote this on this board countless times.  With our D and ST, we just need a competent offense and we contend for the BTC !  That’s it.  Competent!

For as god awful as our offense was last season, all we needed in each of our losses was one more TD and one more long clock killing drive, maybe a FG and we are a 10-11 win team in a great bowl game, if not Big Ten champs.

Arizona St - Brian steps into his throw or Dotson catches it - TD and momentum changing play.

NW - So many plays left on the field too long to mention.

UM - self explanatory

Nebraska - please

Ohio St - tough game but it was 7-6 at half or something like that.

Oregon - please, we were on their side of the field so many times it was nearly mathematically impossible to not score.

While its may be hard to get "excited" about the team knowing the offense hasn't been good, play calling has been inconsistent/suspect at times, and the whole debacle of play Brian in the Michigan game when he couldn't throw the ball due to his injury.

It does not seem to be that much of a stretch to think that we will be much better on O this season (not saying or even thinking that this will be one of the better MSU offenses under Coach D but it should be MUCH better then last year.

I think the switch with Coach B is going to pay BIG dividends as there is talent on the line.

I'm ok with the team being under the radar and expectations from media being low...hopefully Coach and the players get that chip on their shoulders and take it out on the opposition.

Go State!
See, but of all those games...the Bowl Game was supposed to be different. Time to heal, time to plan, "We're going to show you some different things"...and then, did we see anything new? Anything that worked? They had over a month and came out flatter than a depressed flan...

That Oregon game was lost on coaching because they did not make the changes they promised and could not fix what ailed. And THAT is what gives me pause looking forward. Call it whatever you want, JAR-tan Man. I'm not sure that the rhetoric from staff directly and through their comments to media are matching reality.
Lansing, MI