Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LJ Scott Signs with the Cleveland Browns
https://collegesportsmaven.io/michiganst...jK6Z5aqCw/
Hondo S. Carpenter, Sr.  @HondoCarpenter
Sounds like Lj Scott just retired from football???
Scott leaves Cleveland Browns, May quit football
Joe Polasek- Former Producer, Spartan Nation Radio
Lansing, MI
What kind of insider info do we have on this? I met LJ once and we spoke for 5 mins. I never got the feeling that football was his passion
Proud Member of Spartan Nation in St Croix, USVI.  Americas Paradise.
(05-16-2019, 08:03 PM)Jumbiemom Wrote: What kind of insider info do we have on this?  I met LJ once and we spoke for 5 mins.  I never got the feeling that football was his passion

And it kinda Has to be, to make it in the NFL. 

I hope he got his degree, or can do so easily.
Jumbiemom :

LJ did have a lot of injuries.  But you are right, he never loved the game enough to grind it out.  He was super talented and I hope he succeeds in whatever vocation he chooses.
Had his best year as a freshman. Never eclipsed that. Maybe that reach for a championship on MSU's version of THE DRIVE coupled with the Decline of the Line gave us unrealistic expectations for LJ. He loved the success, but not the work? Perhaps. That's kinda always been the whisper.

He was never a guy that Hondo interviewed. That's sometimes something you can read into. Certainly, he was a sought sound byte for many other writers, but not Hondo, even when he wasn't hurt. I think he represents a forgettable period in MSU football history- a time with a high-water mark that can be seen due to the way the tide has receded in recent years. I wonder how history will judge the late Dantonio years, and how much LJ's contributions, then lack-thereof, would play into that narrative. Certainly, the final chapters haven't been written yet, but that doesn't mean I don't wonder.
Joe Polasek- Former Producer, Spartan Nation Radio
Lansing, MI
I strongly disagree that he was at his best as a freshman. I think LJ's sophomore year was his best season, followed by his junior season. Don't forget...he had 186 yards against Michigan and 236 yards against OSU and broke the 100 yard mark six times as a sophomore. And he had had 220 against Minn, 147 vs. Maryland and 136 yards in the bowl game against Wash. St. and broke the 100 yard mark 5 times as a junior. As a senior, he had 141 yards in the season opener against Utah St. before getting hurt. Had he been healthy with even a mediocre line, I think his senior year would've been his best. As a frosh, he broke the 100 yard mark twice. He averaged 53 ypg as a frosh, 95 ypg as a soph, 87 ypg as a junior and 72 ypg as a senior.