Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CoachG - MHSAA Football changes
Just curious as to your hot take on the changes to high school football here in Michigan.  For those who havent' heard, starting in 2020 it won't be "six wins and you're in" for the playoffs.  It will all be based on playoff points.  There has been a shift in the past 10-20 years of teams scheduling a few cream puffs to get those wins.  Conferences have broken up/teams left because they didn't want to play big and strong programs.  

With this new system, it all changes.  There won't be a penalty for a 300 student school losing to a perennial powerhouse 1,000+ student.  Actually, they will get points for the wins of the team they lost to.  A school with a tough schedule and four wins could make the playoffs over a six win school and an easy schedule.

For those who want to read about it a bit closer, check out what McCabe had to say about it.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/high-...141532001/

Jeffrey C. Cottrell
Will get back having trouble with replying
Another huge change is implementing seeding for basketball (guys and girls) and also soccer. Didn't see if everyone is seeded, just saw that the top 2 at least are abs won't meet until the district final
Would it really be too difficult to let everyone in the playoff and then seed it? Then reseed at regionals and so on? For football I mean...
(05-13-2019, 12:08 AM)Jhuxy Wrote: Would it really be too difficult to let everyone in the playoff and then seed it?  Then reseed at regionals and so on?  For football I mean...

Can you do that and do it 'fairly'?  No matter who does it, no matter how impartial it is, sounds of whining will be heard, every year.
There is no judging in a point system by keeping the six wins and in format.  By winning in your conference and your non-conference games that kind of separates the best teams.  Not all areas have the same talent for sure and by trying to gage one area against another looks to me a major headache.  Look what it’s like in college football and basketball with those committees choosing who plays in the play offs and in the tournament.  No thanks on this new system, six and in ends many arguments.
(05-13-2019, 12:19 AM)jartan77 Wrote:
(05-13-2019, 12:08 AM)Jhuxy Wrote: Would it really be too difficult to let everyone in the playoff and then seed it?  Then reseed at regionals and so on?  For football I mean...

Can you do that and do it 'fairly'?  No matter who does it, no matter how impartial it is, sounds of whining will be heard, every year.
Then dont seed it and make it a blind draw.