Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can somebody forward this to the Football building?
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/you...y-screwed/
Why?  It's NFL stats, and it's analytics.  It will be discarded as new-fangled crap written by pencil pushing geeks who never had to call a game Live on a field.  Wink
I thinks it's more of the predictability that MSU is going to run the ball on 1st down. Quit being so damn predictable. Mix it up, keep a defense on their toes. A play action pass on 1st down when there is 9 defenders in the box would be really nice to see. I have a dream....
(01-11-2019, 11:56 PM)Jhuxy Wrote: I thinks it's more of the predictability that MSU is going to run the ball on 1st down.  Quit being so damn predictable.  Mix it up, keep a defense on their toes.  A play action pass on 1st down when there is 9 defenders in the box would be really nice to see.   I have a dream....

My view is that if you are going to play power football then you better have a quality dual threat QB, a stud RB, and a very talented TE.
 Where are they?
We seem to be desperately in need of this type of analytics analysis. I know I've checked the last few seasons how often we ran the ball on 3rd and more than 4 yards to go and it was close to zero. Abandonment of the run game on likely passing downs, combined with abandonment of the passing game on typical running downs makes an offense much easier to predict and defend.

But we can always rely on audibles, right?