Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Offense 2019
Based on how the 2018 season ended the probable offensive line up looks something like this,

TE Dotson  LT Chewins  LG Higby  C Allen  RG Jarvis  RT Reid

X Nailor  F Stewart  Z White

QB Lewerke  FB Rosenthal  TB Heywood

This the same unit, for the most part, that started the Redbox Bowl.  Not sure on the X and Dotson was not a starter.
The question is who will repeat as starters and who may step in to the starting roles.  There are two recruits that could challenge on the OL, Dobbs and Brown.  There may even be a OL or two that may cahllenge from the roster, Accuri, Bueter, Isaia, Khaleesh, who knows.  TE is a real trouble spot.  Dotson blocked very poorly last year and was suppose to be the catching TE but did not look good there either.  The hope is that Gillison can emerge and be the all around TE.  I have mentioned before that the need in this offense for a blocking TE is extremely important.  I would find the most athletic OL and convert them to TE.  I look at a player like Jordan Reid, under sized RT, and make him a TE.  In the backfield finding a TB that can be a threat running and catching the ball and CAN BLOCK will be the priority.  I like the recruit Brandon Wright and am looking forward to seeing him.  The toughest position to fill this year will be the X replacing Felton Davis.  TE and the X is a priority and should be the focus this spring.
(01-11-2019, 08:37 PM)coachg79 Wrote: Based on how the 2018 season ended the probable offensive line up looks something like this,

This the same unit, for the most part, that started the Redbox Bowl.  Not sure on the X and Dotson was not a starter.
The question is who will repeat as starters and who may step in to the starting roles.  There are two recruits that could challenge on the OL, Dobbs and Brown.  There may even be a OL or two that may cahllenge from the roster, Accuri, Bueter, Isaia, Khaleesh, who knows.  TE is a real trouble spot.  Dotson blocked very poorly last year and was suppose to be the catching TE but did not look good there either.  The hope is that Gillison can emerge and be the all around TE.  I have mentioned before that the need in this offense for a blocking TE is extremely important.  I would find the most athletic OL and convert them to TE.  I look at a player like Jordan Reid, under sized RT, and make him a TE.  In the backfield finding a TB that can be a threat running and catching the ball and CAN BLOCK will be the priority.  I like the recruit Brandon Wright and am looking forward to seeing him.  The toughest position to fill this year will be the X replacing Felton Davis.  TE and the X is a priority and should be the focus this spring.

I agree! There's not one skill player with speed/play making ability to score quickly. I stated before, MSU has always been a team that ran the ball and incorporated the deep pass (which has been lacking the the past couple of seasons). Factor in inability to be physical, I potentially see the same results from last season. I hope I an wrong. Overall the speed is lacking and not on the current roster on the offensive side of the ball imo.
At some point in time, you can't keep resting on what you've done in the past but what have you done lately. Wink

Need someone else at RB. Pray a freshman can step up. Heyward isn’t it.
Agree with all your points Coach.

I know the majority of fans are highly critical of the number of offensive plays we ran to the short side or boundary side of the field. The infamous “Warner Jet Sweep” to the boundary seems to be the play call that fans are most critical of, with the “Warner Wildcat” a close second.

I only played in high school. We ran a pro style offense with counter trey principles. We nearly always ran to the short side of the field. The plays were schemed to get their quickly because of a numbers advantage the offense had.

If you watch most college games, the majority (remember majority only means 51% or more) of running plays go to the short side of the field.

Dave Warner is a competent offensive coach.

Two questions:

1. What is the advantage of running to the short/boundary side of the field?

2. What are the disadvantages? If running to the short side of the field is so egregious and sinful and a crime against humanity (sarcasm) then why do so many teams do it ?

Thank you,

Dan
(01-11-2019, 08:53 PM)SpartanSports Wrote:
(01-11-2019, 08:37 PM)coachg79 Wrote: Based on how the 2018 season ended the probable offensive line up looks something like this,

I agree! There's not one skill player with speed/play making ability to score quickly. I stated before, MSU has always been a team that ran the ball and incorporated the deep pass (which has been lacking the the past couple of seasons). Factor in inability to be physical, I potentially see the same results from last season. I hope I an wrong. Overall the speed is lacking and not on the current roster on the offensive side of the ball imo.

Nailor can take it the distance. Heyward should be a third down guy. I look for Jefferson to take a significant step this year. Dotson is
 a poor blocker and a mediocre pass catching TE. Need help there. Without getting into the morality aspect of it, the suspensions,
 dismissals, and transfers the past few years have cost us a bunch of elite level players. You can see it now.